[Matroska-devel] Re: Subtitles in MKV? Any docs?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Jun 17 12:17:13 CEST 2004

Him

> thanks for response....

You're welcome.

> we're not using Gabest's VSFilter because...

I see :)

> (we've already done VobSub support too)

If you want to support VobSub in Matroska, too, then you'll have to be
aware of the storage method used. Like S_TEXT/SSA the contents are
changed for S_VOBSUB.

1. The studd that's found in the .IDX file is put into the CodecPrivate
   element. This does not include the 'timestamp:' entries, of course.

2. The actual packets ONLY contain the SPU packets, not the surrounding
   MPEG stream. Also one Matroska block contains all the SPU sub-packets
   that belong to this SPU packet - so SPU packet assembly is done in
   the muxer, not in the filter.

Those are the two main differences between VobSub stored in external
.idx/.sub files and VobSub stored in Matroska.

Mosu