[Matroska-devel] Re: Subtitles in MKV? Any docs?

Martin Bottanek bottanek at radlight.com
Thu Jun 17 12:04:54 CEST 2004

hey
thanks for response....

we're not using Gabest's VSFilter because we've built our own subtitle
engine powerfull enough to cover all (I hope) subtitle needs... such as
editing, ripping etc...
it's not limited to DirectShow - and not limited to usage of Gabest's
VSFilter.... (we've already done VobSub support too)

I'll do some investigation...

best
Igor

"Moritz Bunkus" <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote in message
news:20040617081117.GU7379 at bunkus.org...
> Hi,,
>
> > > well.. our point is to make support for matroska subtitles. I've
written a
> > > dshow filter for handling subtitles embedded in containers.
>
> Out of curiosity - why aren't you using Gabest's VSFilter?
>
> > > I've dumped several MKV subtitle streams and the data looks like the
> > > following :
> > >
> > > 0,0,Default,,0,0,0,,Here we go.
> > > 1,0,Default,,0,0,0,,Hiya fellas.
>
> There are basically three subtitle formats in Matroska at the
> moment. They're identified by their CodecID element. Two of them are
> text formats (S_TEXT/UTF8 and S_TEXT/SSA / S_TEXT/ASS), then third one
> is the same format used on DVDs (S_VOBSUB) which is a graphical format.
>
> The simpler format of the two text formats is S_TEXT/UTF8. It just
> contains the text to display in each packet. The timecode and the
> duration are set by the container (BlockTimecode and BlockDuration
> elements). There's no special format inside. It's just the simple SRT
> file format converted to Matroska, so there may be HTML like tags to
> alter the appearance.
>
> S_TEXT/SSA and S_TEXT/ASS are imported SubStation Alpha / Advanced SSA
> subtitles. You can find the general description of this format somewhere
> on the net. As for the additions in ASS you can have a look at
> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=19407&group_id=82303
>
> Now those lines are not stored 1:1 in Matroska but transformed a
> bit. Here's a quick overview:
>
> 1. The global settings in a SSA file (the [Script Info] and [V4 Styles]
>    sections) are stored in the track's CodecPrivate element in pure text
>    form.
>
> 2. Each line in the original file looks something like this:
>    Dialogue:
Marked=0,0:00:01.00,0:00:10.00,*Default,,0000,0000,0000,,{\fs50\fnCHRISTINA\
fe2}test