[Matroska-devel] Tags internationalisation

Jory jcsston at wiesneronline.net
Sun Jun 6 21:00:18 CEST 2004

The best way to handle this I think would be to have English be the default
genre language, using the native language for special genres.
Then in tag editing programs that are non-English it should translate the
English names to the users language and back to English when writing the
tags. If the user enters a genre the doesn't exist in the English table,
write it as the user language as it would likely be a native or custom
genre.
IMHO Using a number to id the genre isn't a great idea since they don't mean
anything to the user and require a lookup table for it to be any use. (think
outdated software)

Jory