[Matroska-devel] Tags internationalisation

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Jun 6 20:15:52 CEST 2004

Hi,

I was just pissed for the Xth time by iTunes that changed all my Ambient
  genre tracks to Ambiance, just because iTunes is in french... And then
I just wondered how Matroska would handle this. After all there might be
some genre that have different names in different countries...

IMO the genres should be in english, and the internationalised software
should translate it (with a map we could define). Some genres might be
country specific and therefore in the native language. Also it should
still be possible to use custom genres. But then you don't need to
translate them to interact with other softwares.

What do you think of this issue ? Or maybe allow to set the language for
a genre (and use a list of translations when possible) ? Or use both a
string and a number ?