[Matroska-devel] Multiple CDs in MKA

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sat Jul 31 11:42:40 CEST 2004

Hi,

I was thinking about this "many CDs in one MKA file" feature. It would
be nice for some albums or compilations (you move one file the same way
you move the CD).

We have been thinking about using editions to distinguish the different
CDs. But I'm not sure it's the right way to do it. Editions are meant to
describe the same content but with variations (mostly chapters, hidden
parts and control tracks). They are not meant to describe
non-overlapping parts of the same segment. For that there are chapters,
and subchapters (and subsubchapters). So I think each CD should be a
large chapter, each track a subchapter of this chapter and the possible
indexes are subsubchapters. This seems logical to me since nothing is
overlapping at this level. Of course if there is just one CD, you can
remove one level. And for one track you can also remove one level. When
joining files you should a level: tracks -> CD, CDs -> CD-set. That
looks like a logical form to me.

Any suggestions or ideas ?

Mosu suggested we should do a document describing how CD-in-MKA is done.
That could help both developpers and users understand it. Goldenear ? Do
you feel like doing it ?