[Matroska-devel] MatroskaSplitter Sound-skip Bug Fixed in the one with TTADS?

Christophe PARIS christophe.paris at free.fr
Fri Jul 9 11:11:16 CEST 2004

Hi Liisachan,

Liisachan wrote:
> TTA support in MKV is already better than FLAC in MKV.
>
> Now, MatrosaSplitter 1.0.2.2 and 1.0.2.3 has a skippy sound prob,
> which I already posted in this list but had been also reporeted here
> as--[ 908300 ] MPC: internal Matroska-Splitter broken:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=908300&group_id=82303&atid=565649
>

> I can reproduce this skippy sound prob with (official) 1.0.2.3
> embedded in MPC, when I play (xvid+tta).mkv.
>
> # Small sample (xvid+tta).mkv for testing just in case: #
> http://user33.at.infoseek.co.jp/tta-mkv.zip
>
> This problem is gone if I use the "modified" 1.0.2.3 splitter coming
> with TTA DirectShow Filters pre-version binaries (including modified
> Matroska filters). Modified splitter is supporting TTA, so this is
> not surprising.

I've listed this problem on this page also :
http://wiki.corecodec.org/wiki/TODO_list_-_Known_issues_-_Things_to_improve

"MatroskaSplitter has some skipping sound problems that seems to be
caused by buffering problems. (there is a bug entry on sf.net here ).
Putting pProperties->cbBuffer = 256000 in
CBaseSplitterOutputPin::DecideBufferSize seems to have a good effect on
it. Though is probably not the best fix ;)"

> What *is* surprising is, this problem is also fixed if I use the old
> version 1.0.2.0 of the splitter. Yes, 1.0.2.0 splits TTA in MKV
> decently.

The matroska splitter architecture has changed since the 1.0.2.1, since
this version it is based on the more general BaseSplitter class, which
handle bufferisation differently.

Filters not modified for TTA probably output TTA in ACM compatibility mode.

> Does that mean the skippy sound bug is fixed in this modified filter?
> Or is this just accidental?!

There is a workaround yes, but it's probably not perfect.

> Also let me note that 1.0.2.1 has another kind of bug (chapter times
> confusion), which is reporeted by Yuuhi, Bluedan, and me:
> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=455094#post455094

I think in 1.0.2.1 we added a new flags to chapters, so the data
representation has changed and the player need to be updated
accordingly. IIRC There also was a bug when reporting the size of the
chapters data, so players could not determinate if it was using the new
flag or not.

> Anyway, if these bugs are going to be fixed at the same time when TTA
> is officially supported, that'd be really great.

I secretly hope that Gabest will have a look at the "Known issues" page
:D sometime.

Regards,
Toff