[Matroska-devel] WavPack in Matroska

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat Jul 3 13:11:50 CEST 2004

Steve Lhomme wrote:

> Moritz Bunkus a écrit :
>
>>> - We could also use 2 files. But IMO that's not very clean even
>>> though the possibility should exist.
>>
>> Yuck!
>
> Well, that's how it's done now. But without any container. The .wvc
> file has no tags, no nothing, just the complementary data. These data
> mean nothing wihtout the original .wv file. That's why from our point
> of view it's better to have everything in the same file.

Forgive me my ignorance, but who has a use for 2 tracks of a hybrid
encoding in the same file ? Normally those HAVE to be 2 files, so that
they can fulfil their purpose ? The idea is :

- to have a small lossy file, that you can copy quickly to your laptop,
portable unit, etc.
- to have the complementary file @ home on the server, saving some 20 -
30% space compared to a real lossless file, but still you are able to
restore the original track, without losses

I dont see ANY sense in storing them both together in one single file ?
Do i miss something ? Maybe for creation of the tracks ? Please
enlighten me ....