[Matroska-devel] WavPack in Matroska

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sat Jul 3 12:05:11 CEST 2004

Hi,

> - We could also use 2 files. But IMO that's not very clean even though
> the possibility should exist.

Yuck!

> - Put the 2 "parallel" streams in one Matroska file. The options are :
>
> * have a track for each, which a codec ID for each, each distinct from
> the normal codec ID of WavPack

Hmm yes, could be done. I'm not sure I like it, though, because
splitters might try to create a 'pin' (DShow terms) for that track as
well. If we do that we might need a new element in the track headers:
LinkedTrack or sth similar which contains the UID that this track
belongs to so that when remuxing this track will always be copied if the
'parent' is copied as well.

> * have the lossy in one track and the complement attached (since it
> can't be used without the lossy part)

Sucks, because the decoder needs the attached part. So the
splitter/demuxer will have to read/parse the attachments as well and
hand that data over to the decoder. What if that attachment is really
big - like 50MB or sth like that? This would put a lot of strain on the
complete system.

> * have both muxed in a single track. Maybe that's the way a normal
> WavPack block is done, so it would be fully compatible with the normal
> WavPack codec ID. We would only need a different codec ID when the
> complement is not put in the track.

To be honest this would be the easiest way to do it. The other systems
need heavy modification of every demuxer out there...

So I'd favor the last option.

Mosu