[Matroska-devel] WavPack in Matroska

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Jul 2 16:33:43 CEST 2004

Hi,

As some of you may know, there is an hybrid mode in Wavpack. That means
that you can encode a PCM file losslessly but it will be split in 2
parts : a lossy file with a (somehow) given bitrate and another file to
complement the lost data. I hope I get the idea right...

IMO this is a killer feature (not found elsewhere ?) because it allows
you to have a good quality lossy file format (that hopefully could be
used even in portable players) and at the same time you can keep the
original losslessly.

Not about the muxing...

Right now the result is encoded in 2 files : one for the lossy data and
one for the complementary data. But how do we allow this in Matroska ?

- We could also use 2 files. But IMO that's not very clean even though
the possibility should exist. In this case we should have a way to
identify matching pairs inside the container. This way even if you
rename the 2 files, you can manage to rematch them later. The MD5 sum
computed by WavPack could be used for that

- Put the 2 "parallel" streams in one Matroska file. The options are :

* have a track for each, which a codec ID for each, each distinct from
the normal codec ID of WavPack

* have the lossy in one track and the complement attached (since it
can't be used without the lossy part)

* have both muxed in a single track. Maybe that's the way a normal
WavPack block is done, so it would be fully compatible with the normal
WavPack codec ID. We would only need a different codec ID when the
complement is not put in the track.

What do you think ?