[Matroska-devel] TCME GUI Ideas

Cyrius suiryc at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 16:22:09 CET 2004

--- Jory <jcsston at wiesneronline.net> wrote:
> I have been doing a lot of thinking about the GUI and what type of
> interface
> we would have.
>
> So far I have came up with the following:
> 1. VirtualDub-like interface
> Pros: Simple, Many users will already know how to use it.
> Cons: Single Video Track, no visual of the Audio Track
>
> 2. Adobe Premiere-like interface
> Pros: Flexible, Layering, Lots of A/V/S Tracks
> Cons: Complex, May scare away some users.
>
> 3. Blend
> Only have a single video track, but provide better editing options
> for the
> audio/subtitle tracks.
> Pros: Only a little more complex than a VirtualDub-like interface.
> Cons: No Layering, Titles not possible?
>
> >From these three idea I like the third the best for a start. Later
> on, we
> could add a more complex interface for advanced users and true NLE
> purposes.
>
> BTW When browsing the GStreamer mailing lists, I found Pupuedit, an
> open-source Linux NLE that plans on using GStreamer
> http://pupuedit.sourceforge.net/
> Should we contact the developer and ask if he would be interested in
> joining
> us?

Belgabor mentioned another NLE editor under Linux (for KDE) :
http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kdenlive.html
screenshots:
http://www.uchian.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kdenlive_screenshots.html

It is mainly a GUI (with some other things) around the renderer Piave
which belongs to another Linux project.

The GUI of this project and pupuedit seems a bit alike :)

> For the license issue:
> After reading the new choices, the LGPL gets my vote. It's
> GPL-friendly,
> while not being infectious. A good compromise IMHO. :)

I'm also for L-GPL or GPL.