[Matroska-devel] Re: Variable Framerate, plugin based video editing tool

Cyrius suiryc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 17:51:48 CET 2004

--- Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote:
> Cyrius wrote:
>
> > Basically VirtualDub scripts are like a C++ file with objects you
> > manipulate (VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(...)), with the base
> > objects (VirtualDub, VirtualDub.video, ...) being already defined.
>
> I think that's the kind of thing we need.

If we choose to walk down the script path, then I also think this is a
good solution.
This way people using VirtualDub or AVISynth won't need to learn a
whole new syntax ;)

So back to my previous mail about plugin options (that you can also set
inside script files). If we go the script way, then the idea I talked
about ('plugin.setOption(name,value)' or so) may be better than using
XML all the way ('plugin.setOptions(my_whole_settings_in_a_xml_format)'
or so).

> > PS: we should also decide which ML to use for talking at the
> moment. We
> > can't post in 4 MLs each time :p
> > For technical things I send to the matroska-devel ML
> > For features that would be matroska-general (and possibly
> > matroska-devel)
> > virtualdubmod MLs are a bit useless I think because we never talked
> in
> > it, so I don't think people in it are interested
> > and the media-api ML would be more for a media API ;)
>
> Or maybe we should have a new ML for the global thing ?
> matroska-tcve ? (as the idea is to do it for Matroska)

>From my point of view the editor isn't meant to revolve around
Matroska.
As already discussed with ChrisHJW on IRC I agree that the matroska
'plugin' could be integrated in the main project, but in now way the
editor should be 'matroska-dependant'.