[Matroska-devel] Re: [Media-api] Design ideas for the editing system.

Cyrius suiryc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 15:34:20 CET 2004

--- Toby Hudon <gldm at mail.com> wrote:
> > One feature we need is the easy transcoding of AVI files into
> MKV/MKA
> > files. With an option to keep VfW/DShow/ACM compatibility or
> convert to
> > the native Matroska format.
> >

> I think our best best is the photoshop-like approach. Force
> everything into a single multitrack MKV for editing when we load it
> as a source, then perform conversion back to other formats like AVI
> at final render time if the user specifies that in options. Since
> editing assumes we're going to be making changes, there's no point in
> preserving an existing container structure since we'll need to
> completely tear it down to edit and rebuild it for final output
> anyway. For transcoding I suggest we just completely rip the existing
> streams out of the source file with appropriate container demuxers
> and re-mux them into the project MKV as direct stream copy, so
> there's no decode/encode. That should be possible, right?

I disagree here.
We are talking about a video editor, i.e. projects that could be 2GB
large or much more. The users won't wait for a 2GB file to be saved
each time they save the current state of their project because we find
it convenient (not even talking about the user being angry to see 2GB
or more free space lost because of that).

Best regards
Cyrius