[Matroska-devel] Re: [Media-api] Design ideas for the editing system.

Cyrius suiryc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 15:19:33 CET 2004

--- Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote:
> Toby Hudon wrote:
>
> > Ok, now that we're supposedly working on the file format, I've been
> thinking about what we really need to put in there.
> >
> > Basicly my main idea is that we have something that looks like
> this:
> > 1 or more major media types (audio/video/text), specifics like
> codec or colorspace are unimportant.
>
> I agree if the architecture can be extended later. Any hacker will be
>
> able to add it's own format then. As long as we can handle the most
> tricky cases.

Of course the script file would have to be extensible.
This can be achieved easly with either XML files or real script files.

> One feature we need is the easy transcoding of AVI files into MKV/MKA
>
> files. With an option to keep VfW/DShow/ACM compatibility or convert
> the native Matroska format.

Maybe, but this kind of things would go in the plugin options.
The editor isn't meant to revolve around one format.

> IMO the pull model might not be a good idea. But why not. We need to
> make sure it works fine with VFR content too.

With spyder we already talked about using either push or pull.
IIRC we concluded that both systems had good and bad points, but for
editing purposes a pull system may be better.
Indeed when pulling you are sure to control (almost) eveything where
you are (i.e. you ask for one frame, and you will get one - or maybe a
returned value telling you there were not enough data).
But when you push you can't really control what happens afterwards
(pushing a frame in a system that double your framerate by duplicating
frames will output 2 frames at the end, while you may want only one at
a time).

Best regards
Cyrius