[Matroska-devel] Re: Variable Framerate, plugin based video editing tool

Cyrius suiryc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 15:09:46 CET 2004

--- Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote:
> Moritz Bunkus wrote:
>
> > Heya,
> >
> > I agree with Chris here. This project will be big enough as it is,
> and I
> > fear we won't get anywhere with so few people if we spend our
> energy now
> > on something that is not the first thing to decide. Actually we can
> do a
> > LOT of work before we even get to this stage where such an edit
> format
> > will be required, and I hope we can concentrate on that instead.
>
> Sure. But you will also lose a lot of precious time/energy if you
> start
> coding and think afterwards. IMO we should have a far view of what we
>
> want to do to keep that in mind when designing, and then coding. That
>
> was my basic idea of throwing random thoughts in the basket.

Some thoughts about this script file are necessary from the beginning,
in order to prevent bad surprises ;) (i.e. when we add a new feature we
must think about how to control it in the script beforehand).

Unfortunately it's generaly useless to think too much in advance.
>From my experience you never think about every possible case and you
end up sending your initial thoughts to trash because they don't fit
anymore.

> > I like Chris' roadmap so far, especially the first four points.
> What I
> > really want to have is to have the core and the GUI separated from
> each
> > other. I also want to have the core being completely scriptable.
> Ideally
>
> Mmm, that script your talking about for phase 1 is the same one I was
> talking about...

Yes, but you want to try and define everything for this script file
before starting to code.
While a better thing could be to work a bit on both while progressing.

> > the GUI would only translate its actions (open file, seek to time
> x, get
> > the number of tracks etc) into such script commands. Therefore this
> > script language needs some thinking. I have very little experience
> with
> > such stuff, so others are probably more knowledgable (avisynth
> users?).
>
> Maybe Cyrius has some. Because VDub is also scriptable a bit (at
> least
> exectue batch processings).

I know a bit how VirtualDub scripts work.
I am not sure but I think I read somewhere (maybe in the sources) that
it was based on AVISynth (for the parsing module that is), or the
contrary.

Basically VirtualDub scripts are like a C++ file with objects you
manipulate (VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(...)), with the base
objects (VirtualDub, VirtualDub.video, ...) being already defined.

Best regards
Cyrius

PS: we should also decide which ML to use for talking at the moment. We
can't post in 4 MLs each time :p
For technical things I send to the matroska-devel ML
For features that would be matroska-general (and possibly
matroska-devel)
virtualdubmod MLs are a bit useless I think because we never talked in
it, so I don't think people in it are interested
and the media-api ML would be more for a media API ;)