[Matroska-devel] Re: RFC 1134 - New EBML Block design

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Jan 21 09:51:23 CET 2004

Paul Bryson wrote:
> "Steve Lhomme" wrote...
>
>>introducing a cleaner Block is just cosmetic and useless to me. Or
>>you'll have to prove with number that this Block is more space efficient
>>than the current one (which I'm almost sure it's not).
>

> Well, either RFC 80085 or 1134 needs to be done.

The problem of adding a "parallel" element is not a technical problem.
It's a matter that we have to inform every matroska library developper
that the format in the current form sucks and should be updated, that
they have to code something new that does almost exactly the same thing
as it used to. Hopefully there are still no reports of such problems
with our former tagging system...

Now I remember why we wanted to finish the specs before coding. Because
when things are in the public it's too late to change it !

And it's funny that you, Paul, come up with all these changes that will
render all current players useless and at the same time you want to
freeze the specs to show that Matroska is a stable/solid format. One day
you should make up your mind.