[Matroska-devel] RFC 1134 - New EBML Block design

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Jan 20 23:31:35 CET 2004

Paul Bryson wrote:

> Benefits:
>
> 1. By introducing a completely new Block structure with a new ID, we can be sure
> that current parsers won't b0rk on the data.  It is better for the parser to
> simply skip the data than to break while trying to read data.
>
> 2. Any size Cluster can be made with the variable length timecodes. So,
> efficiency can be determined by this.
>
> 3. Seeking can be done by samples instead of timecodes.
>
> 4. Any number of bit flags can be added, changing the structure of the Block2 to
> accommodate new features.

Right now we are *very* far from any of those limitations. So
introducing a cleaner Block is just cosmetic and useless to me. Or
you'll have to prove with number that this Block is more space efficient
than the current one (which I'm almost sure it's not).

> Other:
>
> * The Cluster's Sample element would contain a number of samples to use as an
> offset for the Block2 with the Time bit flag set.

Removed from the specs, because proven stupid already...