[Matroska-devel] Re: Spec update regarding audio timecodes

Alexander Noé alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Jan 20 20:43:08 CET 2004

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

>Heya,
>
>a technality. We are writing specs, and the RFCs have long ago agreed
>upon the meaning of the words SHOULD, MUST etc. Let's please use
>those. Alex is right - if you write must (ignoring the case) this
>implies that programs that don't do that are non-spec compliant.

... and saying 'otherwise blah would happen' just illustrates bad
consequences.

For those who don't know, here is the Spec language:
- must: mandatory. Violating a 'must' is not acceptable under any
circumstances
- shall := must  (!!)
- should = highly recommended to be followed (as in 'a cluster should
not be as large as 200 MB')
- may = it would be nice if

Alex