[Matroska-devel] Re: Spec update regarding audio timecodes

Paul Bryson paul at msn.com
Tue Jan 20 20:31:38 CET 2004

"Alexander Noé" wrote...
> Paul Bryson wrote:
>
> >This has been touched on briefly before, but it needs to be finalized so that
we
> >can add it to the specs.
> >
> >When storing timecodes for an audio stream, the TimecodeScale must have an
> >accuracy of at least twice that of audio samplerate...
> >
> I guess you know that will screw up the idea/sense of clusters? (unless
> you refered only to MKA files)

Don't forget the rest of that sentence, "otherwise there are rounding errors
that prevent you from knowing the precise location of a sample."  If you don't
want to know the precise location of the sample, then you don't need that
accurate of a TimecodeScale.

This is only when you want something that precise.  IE, for MKAs, or very very
precise video editing.

Pamel