[Matroska-devel] Matroska support of Wavpack4

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Jan 11 10:14:03 CET 2004

Hi David,

Following the discussion on HydrogenAudio, here are my answers :
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=15073&st=50&&#entry171972

 > I'm not too sure of the advantage of not just leaving the block alone
considering how large they generally are (unless you are planning on
really short blocks).

Well, yes considering that 32 octets is quite small compared to any
frame. It is very unlikely that anyone will want to use wavpack with
only a serie of small packets (and probably with less efficient
compression). But as Pamel replied, the idea is to let the container do
his job and leave the rest to the codec. A good example is the CRC that
we already handle at the container level or the track number. But as you
might use a different CRC (with correction ?) than ours I think we
should keep it in our stripped header.

 > Each of these packets are completely stand-alone. They can be decoded
back to mono or stereo audio without anything else. So I don't see any
reason that you could not mix as many mono and stereo streams as you
wanted as long as Matroska was keeping track of them.

There *is* a good reason why we want to avoid that in Matroska. What
happens if, in the same track, you have mono samples and stereo samples
? Where does the mono sound go ? In the left channel, in the right, in
both ? Same volume or divided by 2 ? In a 3rd channel ?