[Matroska-devel] Re: Timestamp precision in matroska files

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri Jan 9 10:33:05 CET 2004

Heya,

> Well, before we go on further in the discussion, I'd like some cases
> where it is true that we need a more accurate Block timecode.

Huh? You've said it yourself. If you want sample accurate timecodes
you'll have to increase accuracy. With the 16bit sint the clusters
will become VERY small then because they can only be approx. 64000
scale units big. This means e.g. a bit over a second for 48000 Hz audio
if we use the sample rate as the timecode scale.

> We can use a flag in the Block to specify that the size of the timecode
> is "not as it used to be". We'll have the same compatibility problems
> that when we introduced new lacing schemes. No need to use a new
> Block.

It sucked back then, it'll suck again ;) Anyway, if we're going to do it
we should be doing it right.

Mosu