[Matroska-devel] Re: Re: Timestamp precision in matroska files

Paul Bryson paul at msn.com
Fri Jan 9 08:28:48 CET 2004

"Steve Lhomme" wrote...
> I don't know what this calculus is about. But look at yesterday's
> channel log. I explained why it's impossible to have such accuracy the
> way it is done now.

There is no calculus here, just simple mathematics that I learned when I was
maybe 10 years old.

> BTW, rounding is just what proves that it's impossible. That's just an
> approximation, as everything else.

Didn't you see my conclusion?  You would have to round off numbers that are
smaller than the size of a single sample meaning that you are able to accurately
seek to a sample.  I proved that it was possible, not impossible.

> You also forget to mention that sample accurate seeking means that you
> know which sample you're looking for in the frame. Not just the first
> decoded one.

That is the job of the decoder, not the container.  The container has no way to
pass off a specific sample.  The whole chunk must be decoded first, then the
decoder passes out audio starting at the necessary point.

Pamel