[Matroska-devel] Re: DVD Menu

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Jan 4 10:56:08 CET 2004

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> But, as i was writing in my email to the list recently, we shouldnt be
> too naive about the acceptance of MP4 as new standard. There are a lot
> of different companies and opensource projects working on MP4
> implementations, bond even made an app to convert DVD menues into MP4
> menues, and many users will convert to it because its 'a real standard' !

Actually bond can't rip DVD menus. He just suggest to look at your DVD
and recreate the menu yourself from what you saw...
So if we can do it the clean way, we have another key feature (in advance).

> IMO, it would be a wrong signal to release the 1.0 matroska specs
> without a menue spec. We would position matroska under Mp4, and thats no
> good.

That was once a wise idea to stop the brainstorming and actually put
some time limits. But now we should be more relax with that. When things
are decided we can progress faster than all MPEG4 stuff that need a lot
of various discussions everywhere on what is what.