[Matroska-devel] DVD Menu

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat Jan 3 15:54:46 CET 2004

Guys,

i thought about this recently, and referring to the discussion on IRC
lately if we should wait with the 1.0 specs until menues are at least
specified ( even if implemented later ). What you think of the following
idea :

Lets implement a 'simple' menue system and 'basic' control tracks for
the 1.0 specs, and lets look at the DVD menues very closely for that.
After all, they should meanwhile not be protected anymore as the DVD
system is almost 15 years old now ( not real units, but at least the
specs ), so i dont think the industry is looking very closely at who is
implementing it without paying the licenses. Lets not forget, any
Windows OS is coming with by default with a DShow implementation for the
DVD menue, maybe we could even use the existing DShow fiter that way ?

A more advanced menue system could follow later then, with the 2.0
specs, and i even think it wouldnt hurt if this menue system would not
be based on the 1.0 version, but be a complete starting over from
scratch. After all, the possibility to mux a complete DVD into a single,
huge matroska file, then maybe use the splitting feature in mkvmerge to
split a 8 GB file into two 4 GB files to be able to burn them on
DVD-R's, without changing anything in the DVD itself. As soon as spyder
has the MPEG2 video muxing done, only the menues are missing for that,
as all audio formats ( AC3, DTS, MP2, PCM ) are already supported in MKV.

The biggest argument for DVD users to look at matroska for
editing/intermediate storage was of course if we were able to make
VirtualdubMod edit MKV files with MPEG2 video. I am maybe not telling
you this often enough, but without VdubMod supporting MKV, matroska
would not be as popular as it is . mkvmerge may be the most important
tool for MKV creation amongst the Pro's, but the average matroska user
is still very focussed on VirtualdubMod, and the fact that matroska
files can be edited cant be weighed in gold. Cyrius, would MPEG2 editing
in MKV be possible, mayb even with preview ?

What does everbody think of the idea to make a 'simple' menue spec based
on the DVD specs, for the 1.0 matroska release ?

Best regards

Christian