[Matroska-devel] Re: ContentEncodings element use in DirectShow

Paul Bryson paul at msn.com
Fri Jan 2 23:00:31 CET 2004

"Steve Lhomme" wrote...
> Paul Bryson wrote:
> > I bugged Jory about creating a decryption filter that can do this but it
would
> > be nice to know if there are any existing DirectShow standards that would
cover
> > what would be required for this.  Also, if anyone has any ideas on a good
way to
> > get this done, that would be great.  This is one of the features that should
be
> > working for the Matroska 1.0 specs release so any help to speed it along
would
> > be great.
>
> IMo you should create an API independant of DirectShow. This way the
> same decoding plugin could be used by other apps such as VLC, MPlayer
> and others with the same API.

Talk to Jory, I have nothing to do with the specifics of the design.

> This API is probably Matroska specific, as after decoding, we have to
> keep "attached" to the decrypted content a lot of Matroska specific
> stuff (timecode and other meta data).

Why would a timecode be Matrsoka specific?  AFAIK, the only reason that this
would be Matroska specific is no other container can support this.  For
DirectShow, all of the ContentEncoding stuff would only be used to create the
graph and initialize the filters.  Once that is done it doesn't need anything
else and should function just like any other graph out there.

I asked BBB about how G-Streamer would do it, but I can't recall what he said as
I didn't have a very firm grasp on it.  His comments would be very helpful here
if you would like some input for a common API to use.  I'm not sure where the
VLC guys are though.

Pamel