[Matroska-devel] ContentEncodings element use in DirectShow

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Jan 2 12:13:49 CET 2004

Paul Bryson wrote:
> I bugged Jory about creating a decryption filter that can do this but it would
> be nice to know if there are any existing DirectShow standards that would cover
> what would be required for this.  Also, if anyone has any ideas on a good way to
> get this done, that would be great.  This is one of the features that should be
> working for the Matroska 1.0 specs release so any help to speed it along would
> be great.

IMo you should create an API independant of DirectShow. This way the
same decoding plugin could be used by other apps such as VLC, MPlayer
and others with the same API.

This API is probably Matroska specific, as after decoding, we have to
keep "attached" to the decrypted content a lot of Matroska specific
stuff (timecode and other meta data).