[Matroska-devel] mmg.exe 2 Bugs Related to Charset

Liisachan Liisachan at faireal.net
Wed Dec 29 11:54:48 CET 2004

Hi,

Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm not talking about _job_ files. For those I simply use wxWidgets own
> functions. This will stay as it is as long as I use wxWidgets without
> Unicode support.

Ok, I have nothing against UTF-8, nor the Default charset.

> What I am talking about is the files created directly for the
> communication with mkvmerge itself when it is started for muxing. These
> files are in fact in UTF-8. You just never see them because they're
> deleted right after muxing ;)

I see, I see.

> All this i18n stuff is giving me several headaches. I don't think I will
> get it right in 1.2.0. But after that I think I will make a drastic

Perhaps that was the part of the reasons too why OGM had stopped
at 0.9.9.5

> change and convert mmg (and mkvmerge too, I fear) to use Unicode
> internally. This will make Windows 9x users unhappy I guess, but there's
> always Unicows, isn't there?

Hmmmm, in theory you don't have to change mkvmerge,
if mmg can order mkvmerge via a file in UTF-8.

Of course it would be great if mkvmerge supported Unicode
directly, but in reality, it is almost impossible to type in
Unicode in the dos-box.

Win98/me would be the real headache.
Creating a Unicode-enabled program is not that difficult...
but that is only if the OS supports Unicode.
foobar2000 is kinda miraculous.
IMHO you'd need a lot of feedback from all over the world
to be successuful in i18n m17n because there are a ton of
language-specific problems.
Maybe I should have posted the first report in doom9 not in this
list, but you devs don't like doom9 now ;_;

> > Actually, there is a psychological reason too:
>
> I could write those files in UTF-16, of course, but again that would
> require some drastic changes.

This 'cosmetic' problem will be gone, if you use the default
charset for the commandline on Windows platform.

The real problem here is, not cosmetic nor psychological,
but that you cannot copy from the clipboard now, even tho MMG
can copy to Clipboard. Seems Windows is not so UTF-8-friendly,
like Linux... Windows' clipboard usually uses the defualt
Charset or UTF-16.

Liisachan