[Matroska-devel] mmg.exe 2 Bugs Related to Charset

Liisachan Liisachan at faireal.net
Wed Dec 29 11:19:45 CET 2004

> Actually MMG can produce saved files that describe the job done in MMG.

Oh... :D
If Im not wrong, .mmg file IS in the default charset, not in
utf-8.

So why should it use utf-8 when you cannot use Unicode even in
the job file?

Actually, there is a psychological reason too:
A string in a W. European langauge is roughly readable even if
it is in UTF-8 but is interpreted as WinLatin;
while a Japanese-language string is completely foobared if it is
in UTF-8 but is interpreted as WinCP (SHIFT_JIS).
And a typical user in Japan is like, "Come on, not again, the
kanji is broken again. This is why I hate those non-Unicode
programs made in a foreign country."

As for MMG, the above-mentioned impression is incorrect;
it can handle Japanese. However, it's impossible to
deny the 'impression' when he sees broken kanji.

As a side note, as I poseted in HA, CoreFLAC can't even open a
file if the filename is in Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc.
illiminable's filters have the same problem...
CoreVorbis and CoreAAC have the same problem...
(Hope CoreWavpack wont)

That's why the typical user would be like "Not again..." to see
broken kanji in MMG, even tho MMG does work with Japanese
actually. =)

Liisachan