[Matroska-devel] mmg.exe 2 Bugs Related to Charset

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Dec 29 11:15:42 CET 2004

> Actually, --comannd-line-charset is almost meaningless for
> Windows users, especially if the default charset is a MBCS.

Then I should make that OS dependant: don't mess with the default
charset in Windows and use UTF-8 on Linux.

> similarly, you cannot copy-and-paste Unicode strings to MMG's
> editboxes. (You cannot copy-and-paste Arabic and French mix, for
> instance)

That's because of two things: a) mmg does not use Unicode internally and
b) the wxWidgets version I use is not compiled with Unicode support.

> However, in total, using UTF-8 is meaningful, for instance for
> the chapter data, cue sheet, etc etc.

UTF-8 is always useful as long as its stored in a file -- it just
becomes useless once we have to copy & paste it and/or use it on the
command line in Windows.

> > That caused very uncool problems, too.
>
> I don't think so.

Maybe that was only on Linux, I'm not sure.

> Here I'm thinking only about Windows. So you may be right, to
> make this x-platform.

I don't think I'll find a "one size fits all" solution here (meaning: I
will have to code differently depending on the OS). I don't mind that, I
just have to do it ;)

> > Maybe I should just disable the "copy to clipboard" function and only
> > keep the "create option file" option.
>
> In that case, you should also remove the "command line" editbox.

True, but then again I think I'll keep with the default charset instead
of UTF-8.

> Again, is there any reason that you don't want to copy data to
> Clipboard using the default charset?

The primary reason was that users that do use the command line (and here
I thought of Linux users) could simply copy&paste that text into their
terminal and let mkvmerge do its job.

> On Windows, no one will be happy if the data in Clipboard is in
> UTF-8. (UTF-16 would be another story tho)

That's one of the big differences between Linux & Windows ;) On Linux
you often use UTF-8 for Unicode support.

Mosu