[Matroska-devel] mmg.exe 2 Bugs Related to Charset

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Dec 29 09:45:12 CET 2004

Liisachan a écrit :
> (3) Solution...
> A. First, like older versions, MMG should customize/disable
> "--command-line-charset"
> When uncheck --command-line-charset, it uses the default charset
> defined by the user's locale.
>
> B. More fundamentally, MMG can stop relying on stdin (dos-box),
> and aggressively tell Windows to give it everything in
> Unicode from the begining, by calling
> LPWSTR GetCommandLineW( VOID )
> But this has downsides...again, Win98 users will get angry. So,

But MMG is not a Windows program but a cross-platform one. Introducing
OS specific code is usually not the wisest thing. And that whole i18n
stuff is a PITA to handle on most platforms...

> C. Something like this might be the best:
>
> mkvmerge -j job.utf8
>
> job.utf8 is a text file in UTF8. It says, for instance,
> -o [U+3042][U+3044][U+3046][U+3048][U+304A].mkv
>
> mkvmerge just can open the file and read it and parse the text
> as UTF8, so no one can mess with that.

Actually MMG can produce saved files that describe the job done in MMG.
Maybe mkvmerge could support that file format. I was thinking about
doing such a file too from DMX (DvdMenuXtractor), but the format looked....