[Matroska-devel] Status Quo of new features

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Dec 27 11:25:03 CET 2004

> *1. Menues : *
>
> Latest Version of robux4's DVDMenuXtractor creates XML files that can be
> read by mkvtoolnix dev branch, files with menues can be muxed fine already.
>
> *To-Do* : Some bug fixing, the rest is mainly playback related. Haali
> has to update his splitter and someone ( also Haali ? ) has to make a
> MKV menue navigator filter ; Biggest Problem : Support on Linux players
> :( ..... maybe VLC could be the best option ? Or Xine ?

The main problem for the moment in DMX is that the time extracted from
.IFO files don't correspond to frame times when you read the raw MPEG2
stream. I have to find out why and fix that. Otherwise everything is ready.

> *4. Wavpack 4 :*
>
> robux4 wrote the first patch for this last week, he alone did test it so
> far.
>
> *To-Do* :  Decide about the way to go for playback : Using Radlight
> filter ( included in our packs :O ?? ) or bug Toff about a CoreWavpack ?
> Is there a packet decoder for fb2k ? Who can update the fb2k plugin ?

It would be great if Toff could do at least a canvas for CoreWavpack. I
could do the rest.

> *Still Pending :*
>
> - new pack with Haali's splitter and a wavpack decoder
> - super chapters ( = former control tracks ) plus enhanced super chapter
> editor in mmg and amg
> - USF support
> - DV ( camcorder, lossy compression ) support, type 1 ( a +v = 1 stream
> ) and 2 ( a , a+v : 2 streams ); mainly some AVI parsing and defining
> how to handle the embedded audio stream ( AVI has to repeat the PCM WAV
> audio stream --> ENORMOUS overhead )

As I've worked on MTX a bit, I think I could be able to add DV support
too. Actually we would store the audio and video in separate tracks, not
using the complex type, since the DV format is known we can demux it.

> - MPC muxing ( ever ? )

Mosu will accept patches from anyone who knows enough about MPC.