[usf-devel] [Matroska-devel] Re: Final call : USF muxing in MKV, and playbackon DShow and Gstreamer

unmei unmei at matroska.org
Thu Dec 9 22:30:09 CET 2004

Liisachan wrote:
[snip]

>You mean, it is a given that USF (*Universal* Subtitle Format)
>will never work on win98/me?

[snip]

This is of course not true on a abstract level. If any program can
support (decode) UTF-8 and rasterise Unicode characters on Win98, USF is
theoretically possible on win98 as well.

The problem is rather, how to do it (how high is the cost) ie are there
special libs to include for unicode support, is there a native
wide-textout function, or one that can be incorporated without too much
hassle.

For me it's quite clear i won't change the way my rasteriser works for
legacy support. Initially the rasteriser was written for internal use in
u96 wich onyl runs on w2k+ anyway.
But if it is only a matter of including unicows.dll, much praying and
maybe including a few lines in the code it's of course ok with me. It's
just that mess-generating in my code is reserved for adding fancy stuff
only :)