[usf-devel] [Matroska-devel] Re: Final call : USF muxing in MKV, and playbackon DShow and Gstreamer

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Dec 9 08:48:21 CET 2004

Hey,

just some random thoughts.

> (a) when you want to softsub using SRT,
> - if you use OGM, you are very sure that the resulted file plays
> fine on Windows

Interesting as SRTs don't specify a charset anywhere. So I'd expect
people to run into problems, e.g. with Eastern Europe charsets if your
locale is not Eastern Europe. Add to that the cross platform issues...

> (c) when you want to mux FLAC
> - if you want to use OGM, you'll be just doomed

Which I find really curious as flacenc can output to OggFLAC (FLAC
embedded in Ogg). Ok, my ogmtools can't do that either, but that's more
a "political" decision.

> Some parts of MKV are already very stable, but many other parts
> of MKV are experimental, and might have unknown bugs--not too
> practical for general purposes.
>
> * New Lacing System (We found that older filters couldnt play
> nerwer files)

That one was necessary. It should have done right at the start though.

> * new '64-bit type' (ditto)

That one's clearly my fault. I was just happy that I had satisfied the
"audio only" crowd. And as this bug didn't affect me I was simply not
thinking about all the existing Matroska installations which would
suddenly not be able to play new Matroska files anymore. Bad decision.

Mosu