[Matroska-devel] Re: Final call : USF muxing in MKV, and playback on DShow and Gstreamer

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Dec 8 17:26:06 CET 2004

Mike Matsnev a écrit :
> Liisachan wrote:
>
>> USF specs are getting brilliant, but what about real support?
>> Unmei's rasterizer supported RUBY, but it seems that
>> we still have a long way to "translate" it into DSFilter.
>> I was not not trying to be mean; I really felt insecure about it.
>
> I think we can have an easier implementation by using bitmap subs.
> Not the ugly vobsubs, but real argb images compressed with smth
> like huffyuv. It shouldnt be too hard for Unmei to write such an
> avi file and then mux into matroska.
>
> But to do this we need to decide something about vsfilter. I've
> recently bumped into a couple other vsfilter deficiencies.
> Of course I'll try to contact Gabest, but I'm not sure about the
> results. Wouldn't it be better to roll our own subtitling filter?
> Unfortunately I don't know who is going to write it, as I am
> somewhat busy recently.

Toff is familiar with Gabest's code in general. Maybe not the subtitle part.
First we should get in touch with Gabest because he's the obvious one to
fix his bugs and add features. If he doesn't want to (!) or doesn't
answer, we will consider options, including forking his code or
restarting from scratch. From that point we'll see who can work on this...

> Btw, did anyone try Radlight's subtitler? Is it working?

Well, I have nothing against Radlight. It would probably be impossible
for them/us to work together, but if we give them the specs and the bug
reports, they would fix it ? Does their filter work in other apps ?