[Matroska-devel] Re: Final call : USF muxing in MKV, and playback on DShow and Gstreamer

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed Dec 8 17:01:28 CET 2004

Hi Liisachan

Liisachan schrieb:

>Christian HJ Wiesner <chris at matroska.org> wrote:
>
>>Liisachan, you really can be mean sometimes :-D !! ..... ;-) .......
>>

>Ah, ofcourse i was half-joking but honestly,
>I really felt insecure when Steve Lhomme said:
>"maybe you should talk to Radlight about it"
>
>USF specs are getting brilliant, but what about real support?
>Unmei's rasterizer supported RUBY, but it seems that
>we still have a long way to "translate" it into DSFilter.
>I was not not trying to be mean; I really felt insecure about it.
>Liisachan

Received and understood. There is only one inconsistency in this :

We are a small team, and do have very limited resources. One day the
fansubbers will have to make up their mind if they want us to
- make our stuff compliant with old, obsolete Win98 machines
- code USF DShow filters for machines powerful enough to render RUBY in
real time
With respect to the fact that Win98 doesnt offer any kind of support for
modern chipsets, and the old PCs its normally installed on are slowly
dieing out, i vote for option #2. It would be a cool feature if the
rasterizer would auto-set the level of subs support automatically,
depending on available CPU power, means if it could skip certain
features if the CPU is maxed out, but still display the main subs, i.e.
the text.

To support both should not be possible for us, and robux4's remark about
Radlight was not so far off. These guys were making jokes about us since
a long time, though admittedly more about TCMP than about matroska. On
the other hand, its still good old TCMP 'earning' the money for the
server we are hosted on, while they take the money they earn with
Radlight player, and buy new tires for their fancy cars ( or god knows
what else ). Its really time to ask them to make stuff like their new
subtitles filter OSS, so that the community can gain advantage from it.
But they obviously are more interested in earning money, then serving
the users or the community. A free USF subtitles filter from Radlight
would indeed be cool stuff, and change my mind about them completely :-)
! Lets see if they can come up with anything sensible here.

Else its again the matroska team facing all the hard work, and i admit
its hard and harder to find the motivation to do so. Your arguments to
still prefer OGM to MKV, because of vsfilter ( a 3rd party filter we
didnt even code ) crashing on Win98 when playing standard MKV files, is
not too helpful either. I hope all this makes sense to you, lets see
what we can come up with in future.

Christian
matroska project admin

P.S. If you mux a MKV with a non-unicode SRT file ( like OGM does ),
will it also crash ?