[Matroska-devel] Re: Final call : USF muxing in MKV, and playback on DShow and Gstreamer

Liisachan Liisachan at faireal.net
Wed Dec 8 01:47:04 CET 2004

Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote:

> Haali has made an attempt at a vobsub filter but it didn't work in the
> end and was targetting WMR9, so it wouldn't work on W98 anyway...

I don't think supporting Windows 98 is a 'must'
Besides, if you mean VMR-9, VMR-9 does work on Windows 98 too,
if you install DirectX 9 (iirc)

While Vobsub is binary, USF is a text, so probably simpler;
unless more than one Code Pages are mixed in one USF,
you can always let Windows 98 understand the Unicode
by just calling WideCharToMultiByte().

USF is supposed to have quite a few new features (even including
SVG). They are all practical and very excitinig.
But I'm afraid Haali is not that motivated, unless he is a
subber himself, like Gabest or unmei or me.
Perhaps he even doesn't understand why we need these features,
just like Tobias was not very committed to Unicode-support.

In the end, we would have this cool USF spec doc, like

USF is a new, flexible sub format based on XML:
- Advanced positioning support (aka nested)
- 4 independent Alpha channels (Face, Karaoke, Border, Shadow)
- Predefinable Effect classes
- RUBY support
- BIDI support (eg. Arabic, Hebrew can contain English words)

NOTE: All these features exist only in this spec. No real
program supports one. For practical purposes, use OggWrit.