[Matroska-devel] Final call : USF muxing in MKV, and playbackon DShow and Gstreamer

Liisachan Liisachan at faireal.net
Tue Dec 7 19:23:24 CET 2004

Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote:

> Does MPC for W9x work fine with subs in MKV ?
> Does Haali's splitter work fine in W9x ? Does it solve possible issues ?
> Or is the problem in vobsubs, in which case we'd have to push Gabest to
> try to get things fixed.

Today we re-tested MPC 6482 and 6483CVS and WMP6.4 on Window
98se (physical machine, not virtual)

Result:
- MKV, if soft-subbed, will crash the OS.
- MKV plays fine if not subbed.

We will test Haali's filters later.
One of us also suggested that we should test MPlayer for Windows
(sub support is not as good as VSFilter, but still better than
crash)
RadLight (which can render subs by itself) might work too on
win98, at least better than the filters in the official pack.
So there might be a way to play subbed mkv on win98,
but it would be the best if the official pack could support
win98 too.

> As we plan to release a new pack in a few weeks, we have enough time to
> make sure it works in W9x too. We have good coders, it's just a matter
> of time and will :)

Glad to hear that, especially after we heard from you devs
connotate "We don't want to support Win98"...I hope this wont be
too late.

That anti-98 argument in the doom9 forum was more or less
discouraging; when a user modestly reported a true, important,
and reproducible bug, which was commonly known for win98 users,
he was mistreated and some of his posts had been even deleted by
the mod who insisted "As a user of an open source product you
have no rights to complain about something that doesn't work on
your system."

Im not criticizing the mod... I guess there had been some kind
of misunderstanding there. Besides, he is a very nice
person considering that another mod might just have said "Stop
talking about Matroska, or else!"

Personally I don't mind if MKV doesn't work on Win98,
as long as you make it clear, i.e. if the official page says
"Matroska Pack for Windows 2000/XP (NOTE Windows 98 is not
supported)"... Win 98 users were (are/will be) upset because you
guys don't say beforehand that Win 98 is not fully supported.

Liisachan