[Matroska-devel] Final call : USF muxing in MKV, and playback on DShow and Gstreamer

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Dec 7 09:38:21 CET 2004

Liisachan a écrit :
> Anyway, my hope is, USF decoder will work on Win98 too.
> It should be possible, because many other cool applications,
> such as foobar2000, do support UTF-8 even on Windows 98.
>
> Otherwise, we will keep saying to Windows users in anime fandom,
> "MKV is practical if, and only if, your OS is Win2k or xp;
> If you are using windows 98, you'll just have to give up.
> Most probably it wont play properly."

 From what I understand it's not a USF problem (and USF will not solve
such problems magically). I know there are some problems but I don't
know the precise details.

Does MPC for W9x work fine with subs in MKV ?
Does Haali's splitter work fine in W9x ? Does it solve possible issues ?
Or is the problem in vobsubs, in which case we'd have to push Gabest to
try to get things fixed.

As we plan to release a new pack in a few weeks, we have enough time to
make sure it works in W9x too. We have good coders, it's just a matter
of time and will :)

Steve