[Matroska-devel] Final call : USF muxing in MKV, and playback on DShow and Gstreamer

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Dec 6 13:21:55 CET 2004

Hi Team, hi unmei,

its definitely time to do something sensible with USF.

I heard that Real Networks is about to support the native OGG subtitle
standard ( based on png/mng IIRC ) in Realplayer and Realproducer, SRT
is not powerful enough and SSA files are too difficult to make, at least
for most normal users who dont have a background in website programming.

USF and unmei's nice editor, called U96, were raising a lot of interest
already, and this is even before USF can actually be used inside MKV
files. For my conversation with unmei i do have the impression, that
both the format and the editor are already capable of producing nice USF
files, all thats missing is

- muxing
- playback

unmei has created a so-called 'USF rasterizer' thats a kind of library
as i understand it, and most of the USF features are already supported
in it. Only some of the more fancy stuff isnt yet, but this should only
be a problem for fansubbers doing very complicated subtitles for
hardsubbing during the encoding, as most PCs wont have the necessary CPU
power to render those in real time.

I am asking for 2 volunteers here on this list.

1. Someone caring about the muxing problem, either by adding MKS output
to U96, or by making a USF parser so that Mosu and Alex can add it to
their tools

2. Another one making a nice DShow filter, and/or a gstreamer plugin

Goal must be, that there is a first 'working' version of these tools
until the end of january, even if limited to the features that are
presently supported by unmei's rasterizer.

Anybody volunteering ?

Regards