[Matroska-devel] Re: [Theora-dev] Offer for cooperation on a menue system

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Sat Aug 14 00:47:30 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 19:06, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 10:59:33PM +0200, ChristianHJW wrote:
>
> > We offered our users a usable menue system in matroska long ago, but due
> > to higher priorities we never had the time to look at it. Amongst other
> > things we are looking at to improve our container and its value to our
> > users, menue have been brought back to our attention in this public poll
> > here : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78011
>
> Sure, I'm happy to talk about it. What did you have in mind?
>
> I've thought about SMIL, or something custom with SVG (and possibly
> javascript) converging with CMML from annodex.net for stream references.

Accessibility is important, in some countries there are laws requiring
that media be accessible wherever it makes sense (such as digital
media). So I think the W3C approach is ideal, that way stylesheets can
be provided for different media such as screenreaders.

That would also allow menus to make sense for audio only files. Could it
be possible for an interlaced ogg stream (terminology?) to provide all
tracks on an album, with a menu for choosing a track, and a prepared
playlist menu option - with braille, text-to-speech, screen and some
sort of small display stylesheets?

There's no reason for this to be for graphical displays only. You could
even use it on a telephone system: "You are on hold, please choose your
music from the following four options..." :)

I don't know if that makes sense or even fits into Ogg/Matroska
properly.

Regards,
Tristan Wibberley

-- I have a little sig...