[Matroska-devel] Re: tags names

Age Bosma agebosma at home.nl
Fri Aug 6 10:54:19 CEST 2004

Steve Lhomme wrote:

> We could consider the current tags as "beta" and clean them before
> "freezing" them. Before freezing we could ask for comments in various
> places (not very succesful in the past, but you never know). After all
> tags are only used in MKA (and one tag for video that won't change)
> which so far was experimental. Not much people could blame us (and they
> could still use foobar to change tag names)...

I completely agree, since there are more problems like this I pointed
out before I think now would still be a good time to make some changes.
Especially because the current specs aren't final anyway. Eventhough
some application already support the current tag set I think this is
still relatively small amount, too small to cause major problems.

If we change the current specs we could always notify the authors of
some known application which implement the Matroska tag specs already
about this.

I was already working on a list of problems we have at the moment if it
comes to tag names. I'll start adding some problematic tag names like
this as well. I'll put it online asap.

Prodoc