[Matroska-devel] Re: tags names

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Aug 6 09:38:58 CEST 2004

Moritz Bunkus a écrit :
> Hi,
>

>>Please find joined a patch about tags names. So we'll use 100% Matroska
>>specs compatible tags. (e.g. ARTIST is now LEAD_PERFORMER) :-)
>

> Where's the patch? Anyway. LEAD_PERFORMER is a single person. So where's
> the band? I wouldn't chose 'Metallica' as the LEAD_PERFORMER... It would
> be BAND. But how should mkvmerge decide which of those to use?
>
> In this case I think that Matroska tags are broken... Or at least
> unusable for automatic handling.

Mosu,

The tags are indeed bad in the current state. But since there are
applications already writing them, we can't change them anymore. So
we'll have to deal with these bad news for the rest of our lives...

ProDoc has a good comparison of tag name "translations", and ARTIST
commonly found is LEAD_PERFORMER in Matroska. An application should
display "artist" in whatever language is used, not LEAD_PERFORMER...

We could consider the current tags as "beta" and clean them before
"freezing" them. Before freezing we could ask for comments in various
places (not very succesful in the past, but you never know). After all
tags are only used in MKA (and one tag for video that won't change)
which so far was experimental. Not much people could blame us (and they
could still use foobar to change tag names)...

What do you (all) think ?

As was done with the format spec, we could introduce a "fix" HTML class
for tags we know won't change, to show a difference when displaying them.