[Matroska-devel] New matroska packs - scope ?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Aug 2 18:58:02 CEST 2004

Christophe PARIS a écrit :
> Something that would be great to fix is (from the todo page) :
> "MatroskaSplitter doesn't support partial file rendering (that mean MS
> IGraphBuilder::RenderFile function fail, it should return
> VFW_S_PARTIAL_RENDER instead :
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/en-us/directx9_c/directx/htm/igraphbuilderrenderfile.asp
> ), for example when you have a file with subtitles, you need to have
> VSFilter installed even if you don't want to show the subtitles."
> This way the file will still play if you have 1 audio decoder, or 1
> video decoder, and it will be easier for the user to see what's missing.

Yes indeed ! Do you know how to fix that ?

>> For the ffdshow build, there is a new stable release with many
>> improvements, but unfortunately including FFvfw, a working MPEG4 VCM
>> and dshow codec. For you as a reminder, we decided some weeks ago that
>> we will not distribute such a codec with the pack, because we fear
>> problems with license/copyright infringement from the holders of the
>> MPEG4 patents.
>

> You can disable the encoders available in libavcodec.dll when you
> compile it, but the problem is the GUI stuff, ffdshow just check for the
> presence of libavcodec.dll to show encoders as available.
> So what would be great is that ffdshow do some more thorough checking to
> show only the available encoder/decoder inside libavcodec.dll , that
> would make the thing a lot more cleaner for the user.
> Also there is no file version number in ffdshow dlls, that would be
> better to have some to avoid update problem, and also to have a lite
> flag or something.

The FFDShow we distribute now doesn't include encoders ? Otherwise we
should not care about this problem. And if adding the encoders are not
too big, we should just put it in... I agree they should allow the
option, and especially split them in different files.

>> For the Wavpack parser/decoder, somebody needs to make one first
>> before we could inlcude it :D ! Anybody volunteering ? Toff  :-) ??
>

> We should probably finish the CDA-in-MKA stuff before. That's higher
> priority in my opinion to one more lossless codec even if it's a great
> one :)

I agree too.

About TTA, what is missing to have it working as the default codec in
CD-in-MKA ?