[Matroska-devel] New matroska packs - scope ?

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Aug 2 17:55:47 CEST 2004

Hi Team and All,

it seems that its time to launch new matroska packs in the next couple
of weeks. There have been some improvements to matroska lately, namely

- TTA parser/decoder ( Toff )
- new matroskademuxer ( Toff )

which certainly qualify for a new release of the packs. Things to
discuss are still

- the new ffdshow build ( for recent XviD )
- a Wavpack parser/decoder filter

Not in the new pack will be

- the Real DLLs

as Karl Lillevold from Real Networks informed us that this is still no
option and a clear violation of the Real license. To find a solution to
the big number of user complaints about MKVs with RV9 content not
playing even after matroska full pack installation, i have plans to add
a popup window that users have to click away, informing them about this
problem with RV9 MKVs, and pointing them to a Guide that Karl published
once, on how to 'safely' install Realplayer on the users PC.

For the ffdshow build, there is a new stable release with many
improvements, but unfortunately including FFvfw, a working MPEG4 VCM and
dshow codec. For you as a reminder, we decided some weeks ago that we
will not distribute such a codec with the pack, because we fear problems
with license/copyright infringement from the holders of the MPEG4 patents.

For the Wavpack parser/decoder, somebody needs to make one first before
we could inlcude it :D ! Anybody volunteering ? Toff  :-) ??

Comments please

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org