[Matroska-devel] Re: The near future of matroska - where do we go now ?

Pamel paul at msn.com
Fri Oct 31 19:48:27 CET 2003

"Christian HJ Wiesner" wrote...
> I still feel matroska needed an opensource video encoder/editor tool
> that was not based on Virtualdub like VirtualdubMod, such that handling
> of the MKVs based on timestamps would be possible. But, this would mean
> a lot of work, and a lot of help from new devs we needed to bring on
> board. We could maybe steal the codec API from the new upcoming FFMPEG
> 0.5.x release, and the container API from mplayer G2, as suggested by
> Alex Bergeraszi from the mplayer core dev team.

I don't really see why you would need totally separate API's for the codec and
the container.  They are transferring all of the same data.  Uncompressed data,
compressed data, codec info, timecode, durations, and errors.  Then you just
need a way to push/pull that information and you have an API.

Pamel