[Matroska-devel] Re: MPEG2 in MKV!

Pamel paul at msn.com
Thu Oct 30 18:26:05 CET 2003

"Gabest" wrote...
> There is a sequence header in the format block of the connection media type
> (MPEG1VIDEOINFO::bSequenceHeader, MPEG2VIDEOINFO::dwSequenceHeader), but it
> is only there to pass the width/height/framerate to the decoder initially
> (otherwise it wouldn't be able to create its own output media type). This
> and the following sequence headers are present in the data stream, just like
> all the other packet types, and they are better to be in the stream because
> that's what the decoders expect already. So, if it was put into a
> 'codecstate' element, then the splitter would have to mix it into the data
> stream, but only if the stream is mpeg and not in other cases. This sounds
> very unclean to me.

You are quite correct.

> Btw, if anyone has a downloadable sample of mkv with vobsub or mpeg inside,
> I'd like to test them sometime in the weekend :)

Here is a file that contains the old design.  I think they just changed it so
that the MPEG headers are stripped and only the image data is left.  I think
Mosu could make you a new one.
http://haali.cs.msu.ru/vsshort-foreignvobsubs-uncomp.mkv

BTW, good to see you are alive.  :)

Pamel