[Matroska-devel] Re: Will VLC be the first player on win32 to support embedded vobsub's in MKV ?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Oct 30 01:14:52 CET 2003

Hi.

(After talking with him on IRC)

> The only file I've had to test this with, had some strange timing
> issues ( with audio as well as subtitle track ),

His audio issues are most likely due to the new lacing, and he hadn't
yet upgraded to the new library versions.

Update:
[.01:09:51.] < Dnumgis> fixed it!
[.01:09:53.] < Dnumgis> yess!

:)

> and the spu track had a larger resolution than the actual video ( so I
> had to run "vlc --spumargin=1" to keep the subtitles inside the video
> ).

Unfortunately this is normal for VObSubs. VobSubs are just extracted
from the DVD and not processed in any way. Therefore they retain the
full resolution while the usual encodes crop and/or scale the video. So
the strategy how to overlay the VobSub stream with the video depends a
bit on several factors, e.g. if the playback is fullscreen or not
etc. If not (windowed) then aligning the bottom of the subs with the
bottom of the video and centering the subs horizontally might work. But
I'm no expert.

Anyway, I'm really happy that VLC will support VobSubs in Matroska :)

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)