[Matroska-devel] MPEG2 in MKV!

spyder spyder at matroska.org
Thu Oct 30 01:11:22 CET 2003

Hi,

I finally finished this code and it seems to be working fine.  I am going to
test in a second on a MPEG1 clip out of curiosity.  But reading mpeg2 seems
fine.  I just need to implant this code in someone's muxer :)  Right now it
tells a lot of details about the frames such as whether it's progressive,
interlaced, pulldown-on-playback etc.

The problem is how to mux this.  I think the GOP header should go with the
I-frame in a single block.  Also, there are repeated sequence headers before
most GOPs.  We can stick these with the I frame as well.  The decoders should
have no problem with this.  The frames are in coding order.  And the problem
comes here:  Some frames in MPEG2 video actually decode to 2 frames on
playback to produce a 3:2 pulldown.  I can detect these frames with my code
but how do we timestamp them.  I will be on IRC tomorrow (Thursday) at aroun
9am my time.  I think I am GMT-7 but not sure about that ;)

/me goes to check that mpeg1 stream.

IT WORKS!!!! W00T!!!!  MPEG1 is packetized too :O

John