[Matroska-devel] Re: Will VLC be the first player on win32 to support embedded vobsub's in MKV ?

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Wed Oct 29 13:49:28 CET 2003

Thanks  Sigmund,

 for your precious input on this issue in our IRC channel yesterday. You
suggested to demux the vobsub tracks from their MPEG Program Stream to
save overhead and make the hadnling in VLC simpler. Here a copy of the
channel log from this morning, self explaining i guess :

<MosuSleeping> chris: i'm off to uni now, but i managed to get the mpeg
ps parser into mkvmerge
<MosuSleeping> results:
<MosuSleeping> overhead is about 69% (!)
<MosuSleeping> the overhead of mpeg ps + the buffer filling to the 2048
byte boundaries

69% overhead reduction  !! This means we can now mux a vobsub track of
about 4 MB into MKV with only 2 MB additional filesize for a complete
track !

Thanks, we will provide you soon with new samples

Christian
matroska project admin