[Matroska-devel] VobSubs in Matroska

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed Oct 29 00:16:54 CET 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

>Hi.
>
>Dnumgis from vlc was here tonight, and we talked about VobSubs. Seems
>like that the normal VobSub file contains a MPEG program stream which in
>turn contains the SPU packets we need. In mplayer's Matroska demuxer I
>have a basic MPEG program stream parser.
>
>After talking with Dnumgis I think that we should only store the SPU
>packets as the MPEG program stream around them is not needed, produces
>overhead and complicates things for no reason. So far no official tool
>is available that can create VobSubs-in-Matroska so we're safe to change
>it now.
>
>Any objections?

I agree, now is the time to make it right. Just some things :

- how big is the overhead introduced by the MPEG PS ?

- if we leave it like we have it now, will it be easier for other apps
or hardware devices to support this with the MPEG PS ?

- when demuxing it from the MKV, can we restore the original .sub file ?