[Matroska-devel] USF : Universal Subtitles Standard - Improved hardware support with EBML muxing ?

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri Oct 24 15:59:17 CEST 2003

Hi all,

we had some discussion about how to put USF ( http://usf.corecodec.org )
into matroska the best way today. Two ways were discussed :

1. Leave USF in XML Form, as its coming out from the two existing USF
editors from unmei and kovacsendre. The XML will be stored in a matroska
block, with timestamp and duration, just like SRT and SSA.

2. Convert USF XML into USF EBML. This would save the XML parser for
hardware  players, which is possible in principal, but can limit adaption.

To use 2. would obviously require a lot more work from the devs, Toff
said we had to map about 80 tags to EBML IDs. I was filing a job
proposal on sourceforge today, asking for a learner in C who wanted to
look at the job, lets see if somebody will answer.

In the meantime, i want opinions please.

@Stefan Andersen : you were mentioning on IRC that your hardware players
have a XML lib already ? I guess it would be no limitation for you if
left USF as it is, being XML ?

Christian
matroska project admin

BTW : I learned from kovacsendre that his USF editor has a SSA parser
already, and can convert SSA to USF since some time already, preserving
most of the advanced functions ;) ...
BTW2 : Please use the 'reply all' function of your mail client when replying